I mentioned I’d update after Christmas with the presents I made for my daughter and her cousins.
I’m finally getting around to it.
All for these little guys and gals:
Green eyes for La La:
Special violet eyes for Ms. A.
Brother and sister pairs:
The boy cousins:
The girl cousins:
The pattern is from Wee Wonderfuls, called Kit, Chloe and Louise.
But the pattern is for three girl dolls, which was fine, but I also needed two boy dolls. Yikes! How do I do the boys hair?
I struggled with it for a few hours, then came up with this idea:
I made 2" wide strips of cardboard and wrapped the yarn the short way around. Then I sewed up the middle and used that line of stitching to anchor the hair to the top of their heads. Whew! I think it looks pretty good for a hack.
Then I needed some clothes for the boy dolls. The shirts were ok, I just used one of the girl shirts in boyish fabric.
And then I needed some pants. And shorts. I used up quite a bit of muslin making test pairs, and finally came up with a decent pants pattern, which I then shortened for shorts. Pretty nice!
If I sound a bit proud of myself, I am. I haven’t really sewn in 20 years, since home ec in middle school, really. And while I was doing this project, which I started Nov 1 and finished on Dec 26th(!!!) I realized I really enjoy sewing and want to get back into it.
I bought a new sewing machine just before starting because I thought I needed an update from my old Kenmore. I picked up an (relatively) inexpensive Brother from Costco. Great price, great machine and it was perfect. And I gifted the old machine to Ms. A’s mom, who was in need of a new machine since hers broke and she has a little girl in need of doll clothes!
I also bid on and was able to get a pattern to make clothes for my daughter’s Groovy Girls dolls, which is pretty cools because Ms. A has some of them too, and I can try that for birthdays and such until they outgrow them.
The pattern for these dolls was well written, although there were a few mistakes that I fixed along the way. And also, I wanted to make dresses for all the dolls but just couldn’t wrap my head around the instructions for the pintucks and ran out of time before Christmas. So I ended up with two outfits for each doll instead of three for the girl dolls. The girls got undersuits but the boys didn’t, since the girls were in dresses and the boys had shorts or pants.
I would definitely recommend the pattern if you are looking for a really cute ragdoll. My daughter plays with her quite a lot, which surprised me because she wasn’t really into dolls for a long time. She calls the doll "baby".
I used assorted fabrics that I don’t even know the names of, I just bought stuff online that looked cute. The hair though, was great. It’s a tonal ombre from Lamb’s Pride and it really gave a great hair effect, I thought.
So there it is, the long overdue update. Up next, the next sewing project.