So, a few months ago, I ordered this great stack of fabric from PurlSoho, which is local to me, even though the actual store is in NYC. If you want to see more of the fabric, it’s page is here on the freespirit site.
I also ordered this pattern from Carolina Patchworks. It only calls for five fabrics (for the piecing). I had 16.
I also have EQ7.
So, I loaded up the fabric images from the FreeSpirit site and laid it out so I could get a good balance of color. The scale is completely off and I didn’t bother to figure that out, I just wanted to get a harmonious layout, and I think I achieved that.
I chose a fun polka dot binding that went well with the other colors on the fabric. I found a shot cotton for the sashing – I think it’s Kaffe Fassett’s ‘Sprout’ color, but I forgot to check the label on that one. Finally when we went on our field trip to Michael Levine, I found the backing – a turquoise Minky Dot.
It took me a while to find the right thread for the top and back, but I finally did find a good variegated top thread that went from orange to yellow to green. And the bobbin thread was a perfect match for the minky, and I was on my way!
I basted the heck out of it because I’d heard that the Minky stretches a lot. I didn’t actually have trouble with it stretching, but it sort of gripped my quilting table and it was hard to work with. Luckilly for me, I was at the LAMQG weekend sew and the Quilt Engineer was there with all of her tools and gadgets. She loaned me her SewSlip II, which is a silicon pad that you put around the plate and over the quilt table to make a continuous slick surface. This particular one has a rectangular hole so that the feed dogs can stay up for using the walking foot. It was like night and day! She also let me try her June Tailor Shape Cut ruler, and clued me into this binding foot.
When I got home that night, I ordered the SewSlip II, a binding foot, a teflon foot, and a pintuck foot, because I hope I can finally make those last doll dresses where I got stuck on the pintucks. Maybe. I will probably buy the Shape Cut, because it took me about 3 minutes to cut my binding strips and they came out perfect.
I spent just over two days on the piecing and quilting, and a few hours on the basting and I am really happy with the result.
More importantly, La La loves it, and calls it her Muno blanket, because she has a Muno made of Minky Dot. I think it looks more like Toodee though.
I put a label on the back that reads “For [La La] on her second birthday made with love by Mommy 2010″. I used printable fabric and my inkjet to print on the corner of a page, then sewed it into a corner of the binding. I even remembered to put it on before I sewed the binding! I did forget to attach it before I quilted it though.
I’ve been sucked into the cult of the hexagon and have been working away on a 3/4″ hexagon project that I hope will become a doll bed for La La. When I started it was with some scraps that I got from a Japanese fabric shop, momen+. (They are on facebook, but don’t have their own website yet.) I wanted to see how I like it, and I do, so next up will be a 1″ hexagon something, plus an 8″ hexagon throw. I’ve used all the hexagons in the pack of 100 3/4″, and am still working out the geometry of making the flat surface into a moses-basket-shaped doll bed. I think I might need some pentagons, so I might create those this weekend and try that out.